What are the advantages and limitations of cardboard material?
Cardboard is a widely used material in everyday life. Do you know the range of benefits and features? And what are its drawbacks? Learn more about it!
Cardboard material is part of our daily life by interfering with various applications. Its many advantages make it a particularly popular material in very specific areas.
The most important advantage of cardboard material
The cardboard material used for many applications offers many advantages. These are the most important:
• Cardboard is a solid material: it can easily transport up to ten kilos, which is why it is used as a moving box. It will depend more or less on its groove, that is, its thickness, which can be single or double.
• Cardboard is a very versatile material: this shows its use in many different fields: packaging, creation, storage, there are many examples!
• Cardboard is a practical material: it folds easily and comes in many different sizes.
• Cardboard is a natural and ecological material: made from natural fibres; it is recyclable and biodegradable. The environmental properties of the material are known!
The advantages of cardboard in the food industry
Cardboard material is especially valued for food packaging. Pizza boxes or fruit juice boxes, there are many examples of their use as food packaging. What properties are specific to this use? These are the main advantages of cardboard for food packaging:
• The cardboard effectively resists shock and vibration, which is ideal for transporting goods.
• Cardboard is a lightweight material.
• It is easily deformed and therefore can take on different appearances to adapt to the shape of the product to be packaged.
• Can also be combined with other materials. This is even more true for food cartons, which are often combined with a layer of paraffin wax to limit the presence of grease.
• Cardboard is an inexpensive material to manufacture and therefore inexpensive.
The advantages of cardboard in construction
The material is highly valued by artists and designers, especially in the manufacture of cardboard furniture, for its technical advantages. Depending on the fastening method used, it can be very resistant, as it has good mechanical properties such as its high compressive strength. It can be assembled into solid structures in several ways – tying, laminating, or crossover is a common method in cardboard construction. Cardboard is also present in many aesthetic aspects: corrugated cardboard, honeycomb cardboard, flat cardboard.
The advantages of cardboard in printing
Cardboard is also used in the field of printing, more precisely for advertising prints, for its possibilities. However, it is a complex material: it must not be compressed or deformed by the press (a printing device) and is therefore printed flat.
Cardboard can be used in various printing processes:
• Flexographic printing, which enables high-quality colour printing.
• Offset printing, suitable for long runs. It is widely used for packaging and POS.
• Silkscreen: allows high reliability in colour reproduction.
The main drawbacks of cardboard
Cardboard also has some drawbacks, especially if it is not treated. So it is sensitive to moisture, but also to fire, like wood material. Its surface coating is sensitive to wear.
What are the main properties of cardboard?
The many properties of cardboard make it a material with many advantages. These are the most important:
• The weight of the cardboard determines its mass
• The thickness, which defines the distance between the two sides of a particular cardboard
• The density of the cardboard determines how compact the material is
• Tear resistance
Others Properties can define cardboard: this is its opacity, its brightness or its ability to maintain a flat shape. They are diverse and make cardboard a particularly interesting material.
Cardboard is a material valued by both individuals and professionals. Its versatility allows it to be used in many areas and for different daily applications. Packaging marketing, advertising printing, moving boxes, shipping packaging. The purpose can be very diverse! It can be diverse and distinctive; it also has many advantages with only a few disadvantages if left untreated. Ideal!